UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Football team hosted the No. 15 Ferris State University Bulldogs on Saturday (Oct. 14) afternoon in rainy conditions at Wickes Stadium. The Bulldogs used a strong passing attack and shutout the Cardinals in the second half, claiming a 49-17 victory in the GLIAC contest.
Ferris State scored first in the game, taking a 7-0 lead at the 8:19 mark of the 1st on a TD run.
The Cardinals responded to cut the deficit to 7-3, as redshirt freshman Drew Franklin drilled his first career field goal from 26 yards out.
After the Bulldogs scored again on a pass play in the second, the Cards got a big 43-yard TD run from Ryan Conklin to keep the score tight at 14-10.
FSU had consecutive scores from there, taking a 28-10 lead with 4:36 to play in the opening half.
The Cardinals closed-out the first half with a nice six-play, 83 yard scoring drive to make the halftime score 28-17 in Ferris's favor. The scoring drive was capped-off by a five yard Nate McCrary run.
The second half was all Ferris, with the Bulldogs scoring three more touchdowns and forcing Saginaw Valley to punt seven times in the final 30 minutes of action. The visitors would close-out for the victory, 49-17.
Inside the Boxscore
- The Bulldogs posted the 364-268 overall edge in total offense.
- Saginaw Valley held a 161-107 edge in rushing while Ferris State led in passing, 257-107.
- Conklin's rushing TD was his second of the season.
- Tommy Scott Jr. had a game-high 75 yards rushing on 19 carries.
- Chad Gailliard had four catches for a team-best 65 yards.
- McCrary now has a team-high seven rushing TD on the season. That ranks him second in the GLIAC.
- Michael Alexander had a team-high nine tackles with a pair of tackles for loss.
- Bryan Jones added eight stops.
- Dillon Dixon had seven tackles, adding a forced and recovered fumble for the Cards.
Saginaw Valley travels to play at Northern Michigan University on Saturday (Oct. 21) in another league contest. The Wildcats are coming off a 35-24 loss at Tiffin University on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 1:00 p.m. in Marquette, Michigan.
@svsu_football | #svsufb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---