Score: No. 4 Saginaw Valley 82, Lewis 71
Records: SVSU (3-0) | LEWIS (1-2)
James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena - University Center, Mich.
UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The SVSU men's basketball team opened the home portion of its 2016-17 season with a regional matchup with the Lewis University Flyers on Thursday (Nov. 17) night. In the matchup between 2016 Midwest Regional Tournament opponents, the Cardinals claimed an 82-71 victory over the Flyers at SVSU's James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.
After an early 3-0 Flyer lead, the Cardinals got the edge for good and pushed it out to 13-5 after a layup from C.J. Turnage and a three-pointer from Garrett Hall. The lead would reach double-dighits after Malik Garner nailed a triple at the 12:01 marker to give the home team a 21-10 advantage. An Austin LeVan triple with 9:12 showing on the first half clock would give SVSU its largest lead of the game of 16 points, putting the Cards up 30-14. Saginaw Valley would maintain the edge, carrying a 10-point lead into halftime after Hall made a running jumper in the lane to make the score 42-32.
The Flyers brought the deficit back down to six points a few times, with the third time coming when SVSU led 59-53 with 8:52 left to play after a pair of Eddie Miles free throws. That is as close as Lewis would get for the remainder of the contest.
SVSU went on a 12-3 run from there to make the score 71-56, with the run being capped-off by a Richhie Roberts triple. The Cardinals remained steady from there and had solid foul shooting down the stretch, sealing an 11-point victory over the visitors by a final count of 82-71.
Inside the Boxscore
- Turnage earned Meijer "Player of the Game" honors after posting his second straight double-double. He registered a game-high 20 points, adding 11 boards and three assists.
- Mike Wells finished with 13 points, hitting on three triples and adding four helpers and a steal.
- Hall posted 12 points with four boards and two assists.
- Daniels finished with nine points, connecting on 3-of-5 attempts from beyond the arc.
- Davis added eight points, six rebounds and four assists while Roberts added seven points.
- Austin LeVan scored his first points in an SVSU uniform, chipping-in with five for the Cards.
- The Cardinals were stellar at the free throw line, going 21-of-23 for a 91.3%.
- Lewis held a 46-20 edge in points in the paint but the Cardinals were able to hit 13 three-pointers against the Flyer zone while limiting them to just two.
From Head Coach Randy Baruth
Saginaw Valley continues play at home on Saturday (Nov. 19) against Ohio Valley. Tip-off is slated for 7:00 p.m. at O'Neill Arena. The Fighting Scots (0-2) are coming off a 94-57 loss to Hillsdale College in a game that was played at Walsh University. It will mark the first-ever matchup between the two programs.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb