HILLSDALE — Hitting the road to round-out the holiday weekend, the Cardinal Men's Basketball team is coming back home with a regional victory in its pocket. Saginaw Valley had a solid performance, shooting 47.8% from the floor and 42.9% from three while posting a 70-65 win over Hillsdale College on Sunday afternoon.
The Chargers had a quick 6-0 lead in the contest and, despite SVSU knotting the score, led by as many as 11 points (20-9) with 12:41 showing on the clock in the opening half.
SVSU worked its way back from there, eventually tying the game up at 29-29 when John hit a layup with 3:30 to play in the half.
A Hoskins free throw with 11:39 to play in the contest gave Saginaw Valley its largest lead of eight points with the score 50-42.
The score remained tight from there and a pair of Hoskins free throws put the lead at six points (68-62) with 21 seconds left.
Saginaw Valley sealed the victory after two freebies from Toohey put the score at 70-65, proving to be the final.
Inside the Boxscore
- John was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" after his season-high 19 points and seven boards. He added two assists in his 38 minutes of action.
- Hoskins had a game-high 20 points with five rebounds.
- Belyeu recorded his second double-double, posting 18 points and 10 rebounds.
- The Cardinals used free throws to their advantage, hitting 20 of them throughout the contest.
- SVSU had a 32-20 edge in the paint and 39-28 advantage in rebounds.
The Cardinals begin GLIAC play this weekend at home. SVSU hosts Michigan Tech on Thursday (Nov. 29) at 8:00 p.m. That game follows the women's game, which has a 6 pm tip-off at O'Neill Arena.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---