ASHLAND, Ohio -- The SVSU Men remained on the road Thursday, playing at No. 8 nationally-ranked Ashland University in GLIAC action. The Cardinals, despite trailing by seven at the half, couldn't overcome a big second half from the home team and fell to the Eagles by a final score of 83-61.
After the Eagles ran out to a quick 16-2 lead, the Cardinals settled-in a bit and worked their way back into the contest. Saginaw Valley trimmed the deficit to five points a few times, with the third one coming as Lachlan Anthony hit a three to make the score 23-18 as 10:53 was left in the half.
Ashland would push its lead back out to 12 points and led by 10 (40-30) with eight seconds remaining but a triple by Darnell Hoskins Jr. at the buzzer cut the home team's lead to 40-33 entering halftime.
Hoskins had 10 first half points while Myles Belyeu had a team-high 12 first half points. Anthony added nine points on a trio of three-pointers in the opening 20 minutes of play. Fred John Jr. grabbed five first half rebounds while Belyeu added four.
The Eagles separated a bit in the second half, outscoring the Cardinals by a 43-28 margin and would end up claiming the contest by a final count of 83-61.
Inside the Boxscore
- Belyeu was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" after posting a team-high 22 points and grabbing five rebounds.
- Hoskins added 20 points with four assists and a rebound.
- Anthony registered a career-high 11 points and matched his career-best with six boards.
- John grabbed a team-best eight rebounds and scored six points.
- The Eagles outscored the Cardinals by a 42-16 margin in the paint and posted a 35-29 edge on the glass.
- Ashland shot 50.0% from the floor and SVSU hit at a 41.1% clip for the game.
The Cardinals travel to Wayne State on Saturday for another road competition against the Warriors. Tip-off is set for 3:00 p.m. at WSU's Matthaei Center.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---