Score: Tiffin 2, No. 14 Saginaw Valley 1 - 2 OT
Records: SVSU (15-4-1) | TU (14-4-2)
Location: Braddock Field - University Center, Mich.
UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - Participating in the GLIAC Men's Soccer Tournament championship match for the fifth time, the SVSU Cardinals had a matchup against the Tiffin University Dragons on Sunday afternoon in the 2016 version of the match. In what was an exciting battle for the duration, the Cards would fall in double overtime to the visitors, 2-1.
The opening 45 minutes of play went scoreless, with Tiffin putting up eight shots compared to SV's five.
TU would respond quickly, however, knotting the score at 1-1 just under two minutes later on a Michael Bottomley goal from Andre Landell 52:35 into the match.
The remainder of regulation expired with the score still showing 1-1 on the board.
The initial overtime period also went without a score as Tiffin got the only two shots in that 10 minute frame.
It seemed as though the second overtime period would be the same until a foul called on SVSU gave the Dragons a nice opportunity just outside of the box 6:09 into the period. They would convert, using a Kangi Gabianou goal off an Austin Combs feed for the game-winner, 2-1.
Inside the Boxscore
- Tiffin out-shot the Cards by a 19-12 margin overall, putting three on goal. SVSU posted our shots on net.
- Roderic Green had a team-high three shots while Oyeleye had two, both going on net.
- Oyeleye's goal was his fourth on the 2016 season.
- Dalou's assist gives him seven for the season.
- The loss was the first for SVSU at Braddock Field in 12 chances.
- Matt Wilson, Pablo Ortiz and Oakley Hanger all made the 2016 GLIAC All-Tournament for their play throughout the event.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff
Saginaw Valley, which was ranked No. 3 in the most recent NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Rankings, will find out its tournament fate on Monday (Nov. 7) evening. The 2016 selection show will air at 6:30 p.m. Click here to watch the show.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc