Score: No. 19 Saginaw Valley 3, Truman State 0
Records: SVSU (2-0) | TSU (0-2)
Location - Legends Stadium - Quincy, Ill.
QUINCY, Ill. - The number 19 nationally-ranked SVSU Men's Soccer program made it two straight non-conference regional road victories to begin this season, posting a decisive 3-0 win over Truman State at the Quincy Alumni Invitational Cup on Sunday (Sep. 3) afternoon.
The Cardinals got a first period penalty kick goal to get things rolling, adding two more scores in the second frame for the victory.
Michael Shaikly notched the first goal for SVSU in the second straight match. The junior transfer made good on a penalty kick opportunity, tucking the ball past the goalkeeper to give the Cardinals a 1-0 at the 16' mark.
That one goal edge stood for the Cards, who ...
The second period saw SV get on the board again to push the lead out to 2-0. Azaad Liadi and Dom Hart combined to assist on Michael Hamilton's first goal of the season, which came at the 62' marker of the match.
The third and final goal of the match came when Chris Jacovou added his second goal of the season at the 66' marker, using help from Dom Hart and Griffin Parks to make the score 3-0 with the header goal.
That's where the score remained, with the Cardinals sealing the shutout regional victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Shaikly's goal was the second of the season for the Cardinals.
- Hamilton's tally was his first of 2017, as he posted an assist in Friday's opening win over Quincy. He had four shots, putting two on goal with the score.
- Jacovou now has two goals as well on the season, finding the back of the net in consecutive matches.
- Hart's helpers were his first two of the season, while Liadi and Parks added their first assists.
- Sophomore Connor Keane is now 2-0 on the season after his first clean sheet of 2017. He stopped the only shot on goal in his 90:00 of shutout action, facing three total shots.
- It marks the fourth straight season SVSU has started the season with two consecutive victories.
- The Cards posted a 10-3 edge in shots overall, going 6-1 in the first half and 4-2 in the second, respectively.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff
"Today was another good character builder for our program and it was a win that I dedicate to our entire squad and coaching staff. We knew our bodies wouldn't feel as sharp today after Friday's battle against Quincy and that Truman would be a tough match today. We got some tremendous bench play in the second period and the second goal served as a tough one for our opponents. We were able to cap-off the win with our third score, all possible with our deep bench. I'm very proud of the entire group for the way they applied themselves this weekend, both on and off the field!"
Saginaw Valley opens the home portion of the 2017 season, beginning a weekend of non-conference matches at SV's Braddock Field. The Cardinals host Alderson Broaddus on Friday (Sep. 8) in a 2:30 pm match before playing Ohio Valley on Sunday (Sep. 10) in another 2:30 p.m. contest.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---