Score: No. 4 Saginaw Valley 2, Alderson Broaddus 1 - Final (OT)
Records SVSU (3-0-0) | AB (1-1-2)
Location: Braddock Field - University Center, Mich.
UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The No. 4 nationally-ranked SVSU Men's Soccer team used a late regulation goal to force an overtime period, using another early in the extra time to claim a 2-1 victory over the Alderson Broaddus Battlers at Robert C. Braddock Field. Michael Shaikly recorded both goals for the Cardinals, first using a penalty kick opportunity to knot the score at 1-1 and then connecting from 40 yards out in overtime to seal the deal.
Despite a few solid looks at the net, Saginaw Valley wasn't able to connect on any scoring opportunities and the game went to the half tied at 0-0. SV put up eight shots in the first 45 minutes and held the Battlers to three.
The first score of the contest came at the 79' mark, as Alderson Broaddus's Callum Doyle collected a rebound off a cross kick and found the back of the net for the 1-0 lead.
That score held tight in what was a well contested battle until the 89th minute of play. That's when the Battlers were called for a penalty in the box, giving junior Michael Shaikly a penalty kick opportunity. He capitalized, beating the goalkeeper to knot the score at 1-1.
Regulation time expired with the score still at 1-1, but it wasn't long into the bonus soccer time that Shaikly would connect again.
Just 3:44 into the first overtime period, Shaikly used a touch pass from Matt Wilson, finding the top left portion of the goal to claim the 2-1 overtime victory for the Cardinals.
Inside the Boxscore
- Shaikly's two scores give him four on the young season. He leads the team and the GLIAC with those scores.
- Wilson's assist was his first helper of the season for SVSU.
- The Cards out-shot the Battlers by a 19-7 tally overall, with SVSU putting six of those on goal and Alderson Broaddus having three.
- Connor Keane (3-0-0) earned the victory in net, allowing one goal and recording two saves in another solid team defensive effort.
- Azaad Liadi had a game-high six shots with two on goal.
- Shaikly and Chris Jacovou each registered five shots, with one on goal for Jacovou and three for Shaikly.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff
The Cardinals host another regional opponent in Ohio Valley University on Sunday (Sep. 10) afternoon. First kick is slated for 2:30 p.m. at SVSU's Braddock Field. The Fighting Scots (3-0-1) are coming off a 3-0 victory at Northwood University on Friday.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---