Score: Ohio Valley 1, No. 4 Saginaw Valley 0
Records: OVU (4-0-1) | SVSU (3-1-0)
Location: Braddock Field - University Center, Mich.
UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Men's Soccer team hosted top regional opponent Ohio Valley University on Sunday (Sep. 10) afternoon at Braddock Field. In what was a closely-contested match and defensive battle, the Fighting Scots got a late goal and came away with a 1-0 victory over the Cardinals.
The first 45 minutes went by scoreless, with the teams deadlocked at 0-0. The Cardinals got six shots off in the opening period while the Fighting Scots had five.
It was much of the same in the second period, with both defenses staying strong and keeping the match at a stalemate.
That tie was broken at the 85' marker of the match, as Ohio Valley found the back of the net for the 1-0 lead. They would hold that lead, maintaining the shutout and claiming the victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU had 10 total shots and the Fighting Scots had nine.
- Ohio Valley put five shots on net, scoring once.
- Saginaw Valley had two shots on goal in the matchup.
- Chris Jacovou and Matt Wilson each had two shots with a shot on goal for the Cards.
- Azaad Liadi had two shots as well.
- Connor Keane (3-1-0) took his first loss between the posts, allowing one goal and making four saves in his 90:00 of action.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff
The Cardinals are back in action on Friday (Sep. 15), as the men travel to play at Northern Michigan University. First kick is slated for 4:00 p.m. in Marquette. It will be the team's lone match of the upcoming weekend.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---