Score: No. 16 Saginaw Valley 3, Northern Michigan 0
Records: SVSU (4-1-0) | NMU (2-2-1)
Location: NMU Soccer Field - Marquette, Mich.
MARQUETTE -- Opening GLIAC play for the 2017 campaign, the No. 16 SVSU Men's Soccer team traveled to Marquette to face the Northern Michigan University Wildcats on Friday (Sep. 15) afternoon. The Cardinals came away with a solid victory to open league play, collecting their second shutout of the season in a 3-0 victory.
Omar Sinclair got in on the scoring action as well, pushing the lead out to 2-0 with his first career goal at SVSU. It marks Rutz's first goal in an SVSU uniform.
That same 2-0 edge carried into the halftime break. SVSU
Hamilton's goal finished the offense for the game, with SVSUs coming away with the win.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU out-shot Northern by an 11-4 margin overall in the match and had the same 11-4 edge in corner kicks.
- The Cardinals put five of their shots on goal in comparison to the Wildcats' two.
- Connor Keane (4-1-0) got the win in net after the defense pitched the second shutout of the 2017 campaign. He stopped both shots he faced on net in his 90:00 of action.
- Rutz's goal was his first at SVSU.
- Sinclair's goal marks the first of his Cardinal career as well.
- Hamilton now has two scores on the season.
- Wilson has two helpers now on the season while Jacovou's assist was his first of 2017.
Postgame Interview - Andy Wagstaff & Luke Ruff
Saginaw Valley is off until Friday, Sep. 22, when the Cardinals travel to face Tiffin University in another league tilt. First kick is slated for 4:00 p.m. in Tiffin, Ohio.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---