Score: Saginaw Valley 3, Northwood 0
Records: SVSU (5-0-0) | NU (2-2-0)
Location: Dean Field - Midland, Mich.
MIDLAND, Mich. - Saginaw Valley State University took its undefeated record right down the road, as the Cardinals played a non-conference tilt at Northwood University on Sunday (Sep. 11) afternoon. SV got a first half goal to get the scoring rolling, then had a pair of scores in the second period and claimed a 3-0 victory after keeping another clean sheet in-tact.
That would be the only score for the opening 45 minutes of play, as SV led by that same 1-0 count.
Ashley Henderson tacked-on the team's second goal at the 65' point, using a pass from Mallory Hestwood to give the visitors a 2-0 lead. Just over a minute later at the 66' marker, she scored again, this time off a Sakura Bals pass to make the score 3-0.
The score remained there, with the Lady Cardinals posting their third straight shutout in the three goal victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Henderson now has seven goals for the 2016 campaign. It gives her 36 career goals, making her the program's all-time leader.
- Goethals notched her first goal of the season and first since the 2014-15 season.
- Watts added another assist for SV, one game after posting two in the past victory for the Cards.
- Hestwood had her first helper of the season and Bals notched her third assist of 2016.
- Claire Spleth (5-0-0) posted her third solo shutout of the season after saving the only shot on goal she had on the day in her 90 minutes in goal.
- Saginaw Valley posted a 20-4 edge in overall shots and 11-1 advantage in shots on goal.
- The 5-0 start is the best for the Lady Cardinals in the history of the program as well.
Saginaw Valley returns to the field on Friday (Sep. 16) when the team travels to play Grand Valley State University. First kick is set for 7:00 p.m. in Allendale in what will be a non-conference match.