TIFFIN, Ohio - The SVSU women's soccer team visited Tiffin University to complete its weekend of GLIAC competition in the state of Ohio. The Lady Cardinals dominated the play in the first half with two goals and added another pair late in the second half to come away with the 4-2 win against Tiffin. It was the team's second win against Tiffin this season.
Saginaw Valley started the first half dominating in the offensive zone with seven shots and six corner kicks in just 25 minutes. At that time, the Lady Cardinals would send Amanda Minissale to take a corner kick. She booted the ball towards the net and Ashley Henderson would head the ball into the goal, giving SVSU a 1-0 lead. The goal was Henderson's 10th of the season.
The Lady Cardinals struck again in the 40th minute following another stretch of offensive dominance. Jennifer Muanamputu put the ball towards the Tiffin goal and connected with Shelby Watts for the second goal of the game. Watts's header was her second goal of the season.
Saginaw Valley would not allow a Tiffin shot the final five minutes to close the first half with a 2-0 lead.
The second half started for the Lady Cardinals where it left off. Following a Valentina Giambanco shot that missed wide, Saginaw Valley took a three goal lead over Tiffin at the 59th minute. Lindsay Stroebel took a pass from Henderson and put the ball in the net for her first goal as a Cardinal.
Five minutes later, Tiffin would cut Saginaw Valley's lead back to two goals as Valerie Brown scored off a free kick. The Dragons scored again two minutes later as Adrienne Currie put a loose ball past goalkeeper Paola de Lanuza to cut SVSU's lead down to one.
The Lady Cardinals would add a late insurance goal from Watts with 1:16 left in the match. The goal was her second of the contest and gave the Lady Cardinals a 4-2 win over Tiffin. Mallory Hestwood had the assist on that score.
Inside the Boxscore
- Henderson had a match-high four shots, putting two on net with a goal and an assist.
- Watts recorded her first multi-goal game of the season with her two scores.
- Minissale now has four helpers on the 2016 season while Muanamputu has a pair.
- Hestwood's assist gives her three assists now on the season.
- The Lady Cardinals out-shot Tiffin in the match, 14-11. Twelve of those shots for SV were recorded in the first half, compared to Tiffin's two in the first frame.
- Saginaw Valley had 11 corner kicks in the match, in comparison to Tiffin's zero.
- Paola de Lanuza (1-1-0) had two saves in goal for the Lady Cardinals. She recorded her first win for Saginaw Valley this season and of her career.
Saginaw Valley travels to Ferris State University for a Friday (Oct. 21) afternoon match. The Lady Cardinals then return to Braddock Field to host the Grand Valley State Lakers on Sunday (Oct. 23) afternoon. First kick is scheduled for Noon. The Lady Cardinals lost to GVSU on Sept. 16 by a 2-0 final while beating Ferris State at home 3-0 on September 18.
@SVSUWSOC | #svsuwsoc