UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University women's soccer team hosted Northwood University in the team's regular season finale at Braddock Field. The Lady Cardinals struck early and took a 3-0 lead, eventually claiming a 3-1 victory over the Timberwolves on senior day.
Henderson would add a goal herself and push the lead out to 2-0 when she used a Lindsay Stroebel pass to find the back of the net at the 24:35 marker.
Molly Vanderhoff made the score 3-0 at the 35:23 point as she knocked one through the Northwood goalkeeper for the Cards.
Northwood added a goal less than a minute later, cutting the deficit to 3-1 at the 36:10 marker, bringing the teams into halftime with that same score being in-tact.
Neither team would score in the second period despite the Cardinals postin an 11-2 edge in shots for the final 45 minutes of play, ending the game with the 3-1 win for SVSU.
Inside the Boxscore
- Sims's goal was her first for SVSU, also marking her first career point.
- Henderson had a goal and assist for the Cardinals in the match. She registered 11 goals and two helpers for the 2016 campaign. She finishes her career as the record holder with 40 goals and is second with 89 total points.
- Stroebel's assist was her first in an SVSU uniform.
- Vanderhoff's goal gave her four for her freshman season for the Cards.
- Saginaw Valley posted an overall 20-5 edge in shots over the T-Wolves.
- Abby Divozzo (1-1-0) picked up her first victory for SVSU between the posts.
The Lady Cardinals fell just short of qualifying for the 2016 GLIAC Women's Soccer Tournament and the season finished with SVSU posting a 10-7-1 overall record and 4-6-1 mark in GLIAC play. The team honored seven seniors prior to Friday's game against Northwood and will return 24 other players for the 2017 campaign.
@SVSUWSOC | #svsuwsoc