UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Women's Soccer team finished the 2017 regular season in style, posting a big 7-0 victory over Northwood University on Friday (Oct. 27) afternoon on Senior Day at Braddock Field. The Cardinals scored three first half goals, adding another four in the second frame to account for the scores in the shutout.
- Mallory Hestwood got the scoring started, knocking one off the NU defense for a goal at the 13' mark.
- Kristin Syrowik added the next goal at the 18' marker in her final home game for the Cardinals, using a cross off a corner from Molly Vanderhoff.
- Sakura Bals scored at the 43' point to give the Cards a 3-0 lead heading into the half, using a feed from Whitney Fleming for the score.
- The game's score pushed to 4-0 in the second half when Allison Sims collected a loose ball in front of the net, finding the back of the net at the 61' mark.
- Bals struck again at the 64' mark, getting a pass from Vanderhoff to get another one past the Timberwolf goalkeeper for the 5-0 lead.
- At the 71' point, Valentina Giambanco scored to push the lead to 6-0.
- The final goal came with just under two minutes left to play. A Northwood foul in the box gave the Cardinals a penalty kick opportunity. Ingrid Hannevig took the kick, finding the back of the net for her first career goal. That put the game at its final count at 7-0.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU held a 28-8 edge in shots, notching 21 of them in the second half.
- The Cardinals put 15 of their 28 shots on goal.
- Bals now has four goals on the season while Vanderhoff has a team-high five assists.
- Syrowik's goal was her first of the season.
- Sims now has two scores on the 2017 campaign.
- Hestwood's goal was her first of the season.
- Giambanco's score was her team-leading seventh of the year.
- Fleming's assist was her first of the season.
- Abby Divozzo got her first win of the season and second of her career in between the posts.
- It marks the Cardinals' fifth shutout of the season.
- Seniors Ingrid Hannevig, Alexis Hilliard and Kristin Syrowik were all honored at the Senior Day ceremony prior to the game.
Saginaw Valley enters the 2017 GLIAC Tournament as the No. 6 overall seed and will travel to No. 3 Ferris State on Tuesday (Oct. 31) for a 3:00 p.m. match against the Bulldogs. Ferris is coming off a 1-0 victory over Grand Valley State on Friday.
@SVSUWSOC | #svsuwsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---