BIG RAPIDS, Mich. — The Saginaw Valley State Women's Soccer team defeated Ferris State in the quarterfinals of the GLIAC tournament on Tuesday night in an exciting 2-1 victory. This is the first time since 2012 that the Cardinals have made it to the GLIAC semifinals.
• Jennifer Muana notched her third goal of the season, using a cross off a corner from Amanda Minissale at the 22' mark to go up 1-0 over the Bulldogs.
• Next up came a great pass upfield from Mallory Hestwood to Alexis Hilliard in the 65 minute of play to go up 2-0. This would be the final goal for the Cardinals.
• Ferris State tried to sneak back into the game in the 79' point with a shot in the box to cut the lead in half. The score would remain there, however, with the Cards winning 2-1.
Inside the Boxscore
• Ferris posted a 29-14 shot lead over the Cardinals, but struggled to get anything on target.
• Cardinals posted seven of their 14 shots on goal.
• Muana scored her first career game-winning goal of the year.
• The assist to Hilliard from Hestwood was her first of the season.
• The teams evened out with corner kicks, each earning two.
• Abby Divozzo posted her second win in goal for the season, contributing 13 saves.
From head coach Michael O'Neill
"I am really proud of the girls' performance today. I believe this is the most complete performance of the season. Today we combined grit and determination with moments of quality. We are looking to take those qualities to the next game on Friday to help us reach the GLIAC final."
The Cardinals will head to Grand Valley State to play #2 Ashland in the semifinals beginning at 7:30 p.m. Friday night (Nov. 3). The Eagles are coming off a 3-0 win over Northern Michigan Tuesday night.
@SVSUWSOC | #svsuwsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---