FINDLAY, Ohio - The SVSU women's tennis team opened the fall portion of the 2016-17 season with a 9-0 victory on the road over the University of Findlay Oilers on Saturday (Sep. 10) morning.
Saginaw Valley began the match with a clean 3-0 sweep in doubles and would follow that up with a 6-0 record in the singles portion of the match.
- Ana Pico and Shea Donahue battled back from an 0-3 hole at #1 doubles to claim an 8-4 victory.
- Izabella Ismailova and Danielle Slonac also posted an 8-4 win, coming out on top at #2 doubles after a back-and-forth affair.
- The #3 doubles all-freshman duo of Madeline Miller and Taylor McLaughlin was strong in an 8-2 decisive victory.
After the strong doubles performance, the Cards carried the energy over into singles against an Oiler team that continued to battle.
- Abigail Shonk was the first off the court, claiming a dominant 6-1, 6-1 win at #5 singles.
- Miller was next, as she notched her first-ever singles victory by a count of 6-4, 6-0 at #4 singles.
- Donahue posted a hard-fought 6-3, 6-3 decision over her opponent in the #3 singles slot.
- Ismailova was victorious at #1 singles (6-4, 6-3), as was fellow senior Ana Pico Garcia (7-6(5), 6-3) in the #2 singles role.
- The ninth and final point for the Cards came via Slonac's dominating 6-0, 6-0 victory at #6 singles.
Each team had additional players get some match experience with exhibition matches. Saginaw Valley was 3-for-3 in those as well, with Mikayla Kazdan, Samantha Perkins and Taylor McLaughlin earning wins.
From Head Coach Jenn Boehm
@svsu_tennis | #svsuwten