ORLANDO, Fla. - Beginning its 2017 spring trip in Orlando, the Cardinal women's tennis team opened on Monday (Mar. 6) with a 9-0 victory over Winona State University. The Cardinals began the matchup with a 3-0 sweep at in doubles play and kept the strong play up, sweeping all six matches in singles competition.
The victory over the Warriors puts the team's overall record at 10-5 for the 2016-17 campaign.
- At the No. 1 position, Ana Pico Garcia and Shea Donahue collected an 8-3 victory over their opponents.
- The No. 2 duo of Izabella Ismailova and Taylor McLaughlin also claimed victory, registering an 8-4 decsion over their opponents.
- The No. 3 meeting featured an 8-0 blaking of the Warriors, with Abigail Shonk and Madeline Miller teaming-up in that effort.
- Garcia claimed the victory at the No. 1 spot, posting a 6-0, 6-0 sweep.
- The result was the same for Shea Donahue in the No. 2 slot, as she disposed of her opponent by the same 6-0, 6-0 count.
- At No. 3, McLaughlin posted a 6-1, 6-4 victory.
- Miller was solid at No. 4 as well, claiming a 6-1, 6-4 win as well for the Cardinals.
- Abigail Shonk was victorious at No. 5 singles, notching a 6-1, 6-0 win.
- Samantha Perkins competed for the first time at the No. 6 singles spot. She claimed her first-ever collegiate victory with a 6-2, 6-4 win over her Warrior opponent.
Saginaw Valley plays Minnesota State-Mankato on Tuesday (Mar. 7) morning in the second match of the spring trip. First serve is set for 11:30 a.m.
@svsu_tennis | #svsuwten | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU