DETROIT, Mich. - The SVSU volleyball team hit the road for a league matchup against the Wayne State University Warriors on Friday (Sep. 23) night in GLIAC action. Using a solid start and strong blocking game, the Cardinals posted a 3-1 win over the Warriors.
Saginaw Valley claimed the first two sets on the night, posting a 25-20 victory in the opener to get things rolling. The Cards then had a stellar .306 team hitting percentage in the second, pushing their lead out to 2-0 with a 25-21 desision in that frame. After Wayne State bounced-back with a 25-23 win in the third to make the score 2-1, SVSU closed out a closely-contested fourth set with a 25-22 showing for the victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Kennedy Marker posted a team-best 12 kills, hitting .360 in the match with a pair of digs and three blocks. She was named the Chili's "Player of the Match" for her efforts. The 12 kills mark a career-high for Marker.
- McKenzie Schuster hit at a .320 clip while matching Marker's team-high 12 kills. She added three digs as well with five digs.
- Kaylee Schmitt had a .333 percentage with seven kills and four blocks..
- Emily Nieman notched a match-high 17 digs for the Cardinals.
- Kelly Vellucci had 42 assists while also reaching double-digit figures in digs with 10.
- SVSU had 16 blocks compared to Wayne State's 12.
- The Cards hit .257 in the match to the Warriors' .180.
- It was SV's sixth straight win over Wayne State, dating back to the 2013 campaign.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"We were able to bring a little more energy and offense tonight, and that allowed us to extend rallies and get more offensive opportunities. They made several really strong pushes late in the game, and we were able to hold up to many of them. We didn't handle their middle offense as well as we would have liked, and we will get better at that."
Saginaw Valley continues on the road at the University of Findlay on Saturday (Sep. 24) in another league tilt. The match is set to begin at 2:00 p.m. The Oilers (7-4, 3-0 GLIAC) are coming off a 3-1 home victory over Lake Superior State University on Saturday.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvball