UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - Coming off a 3-0 sweep Tuesday over the Lake Superior State University Lakers, the SVSU volleyball squad hosted the Tiffin University Dragons on Friday (Sep. 30) evening. In what was a back-and-forth and exciting match, the Dragons would squeeze-out a four-set victory over the Cardinals at SVSU's Hamilton Gymnasium.
The teams traded 26-24 victories in the opening two sets, putting the score at 1-1 for the match. The Cardinals hit at a .310 percentage in their second set win, marking the only set of the night where a team hit over .300. Tiffin would then escape with a narrow 30-28 win in the third frame to take the 2-1 advantage. The Dragons would continue on to claim the fourth set by a 25-19 count to post the 3-1 win.
Inside the Boxscore
- Andrea Brigham was named the Chili's "Player of the Match" after posting 15 kills, notching 15 digs and two blocks as well.
- McKenzie Schuster had a career-best 18 kills against the Dragons.
- Kaylee Schmitt added 14 kills with a match-high .294 hitting percentage. She added three blocks as well.
- Kennedy Marker had a team-high five blocks to go along with eight kills.
- Emily Nieman posted a team-best 28 digs while Tamara Heller had 14, adding nine kills.
- Kelly Vellucci had a career-high 57 assists in the matchup. She added seven digs to the cause.
- The Dragons had 29 digs in the match compared to 17 for the Cardinals.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"Tiffin brought a lot of offense tonight and we struggled to match their defensive intensity for long enough periods of time. I felt we raised our competitive intensity to another level tonight and that kept us in the match. But we need to execute at a little higher level along with that intensity to beat the better teams."
Saginaw Valley returns to the Hamilton Gymnasium Court on Saturday (Oct. 1) in a 2:00 p.m. match against the Ashland University Eagles. The Eagles are coming off a 3-0 sweep over the Lake Superior State University Lakers on Friday night.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvball