UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - Playing for the first time in a week, the SVSU volleyball squad hosted Walsh University on Saturday (Oct. 22) afternoon in a match against the GLIAC South Division opponent. After running out to a 2-0 lead with a pair of close wins, the Cardinals overcame a third set defeat to seal a 3-1 home victory over the Cavaliers.
The Cardinals ran out to a 2-0 lead in the match, posting close victories by a score of 25-22 in each frame.
Walsh then cut the deficit to 2-1 after posting a 25-23 edge over Saginaw Valley in the third set.
SVSU then closed-out the victory after claiming a 25-18 win in the fourth and final set.
Inside the Boxscore
- Kennedy Marker had 11 kills, hitting .412 with a match-best six digs. She was named the Chili's "Player of the Match" for her efforts.
- The victory over the Cavaliers gives the Cardinals seven in a row.
- Kaylee Schmitt had a .355 hitting percentage in the match, notching 13 kills and a pair of blocks.
- Andrea Brigham had a team-high 15 kills for the Cards.
- Emily Nieman added a match-high 21 digs to lead defensively, while Tamara Heller added 16 digs and had 10 kills.
- Kelly Vellucci had a match-high 56 assists with 13 digs.
- SVSU held a 17-8 overall advantage in blocks for the match.
Saginaw Valley hits the road for a pair of matches next weekend. It plays at Hillsdale on Friday (Oct. 28) in a 7:00 p.m. contest before playing at Northwood on Saturday in a 5:00 p.m. match.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvball