UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The SVSU volleyball team began its final home weekend of regular season play against GLIAC North Division opponents with a solid 3-0 sweep over the Grand Valley State University Lakers on Friday (Nov. 4) night at the Hamilton Gymnasium
The Cardinals began with a 25-15 win in the opener to take the lead, using five kills from Andrea Brigham and four each from McKenzie Schuster and Tamara Heller for the 1-0 edge. Emily Nieman led with six digs in the first.
SV pushed the lead to 2-0 with a 25-20 victory in the secon frame. The home squad had four kills from Kaylee Schmitt and anothe four from Heller in the set. Heller added seven digs and a pair of blocks in the set and Schmitt also had two blocks.
The third set saw the Cards close-out the sweep after putting a stamp on the match with a 25-19 win. Schuster registered five kills in the third with Brigham adding four more. Kelly Vellucci had 11 digs in the set.
Inside the Boxscore
- Heller was named the Chili's Player of the Match after her stellar performance. She finished hitting .286 with a team-best 11 kills, adding a match-high 15 digs and three blocks.
- Brigham matched Heller's 11 kills, adding seven digs.
- Schmitt hit .316 with seven kills and a match-high five blocks.
- Vellucci posted 35 assists and had 14 digs defensively.
- Nieman had a match-best 15 digs for the Cardinals with an ace.
- Schuster also registered double-digits in kills, registering 10 while hitting .300 dith two blocks.
- Saginaw Valley has now extended its program record winning streak to 11 matches. The Cardinals were ranked No. 7 in the most recent NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Rankings.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"We were able to serve Grand Valley fairly tough and that helped to limit their offensive options. We also dug fairly well, so when they did get their attacks, we managed to transition enough to put some pressure on their hitters to do big things. I thought we finished each game fairly well and didn't allow them to get any late game momentum."
Saginaw Valley returns to the Hamilton Gym Saturday (Nov. 5) for its final regular season home match against No. 20 Ferris State University. The team will be honoring the four seniors from this year's class prior to the match. The Bulldogs are coming off a 3-1 win at Lake Superior State on Friday evening.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvball