MARQUETTE, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University volleyball squad completed their final weekend of the regular season as they visited the Northern Michigan Wildcats on Saturday afternoon. The Cardinals rallied to capture the first set, but ultimately fell short againt their GLIAC North Division opponents by a final score of 3-1.
The first set was won by the Cardinals by a score of 29-27. Saginaw Valley trailed for most of the set, but rallied for 11 points following a Northern Michigan timeout to grab the 1-0 lead. There were nine tied scores and several lead changes in the first frame. Mackenzie Schuster provided the kill for the set-winning point and gave the Cardinals early momentum.
The Wildcats slowed down the Cardinals and took the second frame, 25-22. SVSU tied the second set at 21 before Northern would score four of the next five points to grab the frame.
In the third set, Saginaw Valley rallied early in the set to grab an 17-16 lead. After the Wildcats called a timeout, the Cardinals pushed the lead to 20-18. SVSU then went up 24-23 before squandering their lead and dropping the third set, 27-25.
Fourth set action began with SVSU taking a 5-2 early lead. Northern pushed back to tie the set at 7-7. The Wildcats would then outscore Saginaw Valley 9-5, which forced a timeout. Being down 16-12, the Cardinals were unable to tie the set but worked back to a 17-16 score. The Cardinals dropped the fourth and final set, 25-21.
Inside the Boxscore
- McKenzie Schuster was named the Chili's Player of the Match after hitting .423 with 14 kills for the Cardinals.
- Kaylee Schmitt added 12 kills with four digs and three blocks while hitting at a .333 clip.
- Tamara Heller registered 11 kills and 14 digs. She now has 1,020 digs and is just four kills shy of 500 for her career.
- Kelly Vellucci posted 49 assists and five digs over the four set contest for Saginaw Valley.
- Abbie Toland recorded a team-high 20 digs while Emily Nieman added 17 to help hold down the defensive effort.
- Andrea Brigham had a team-high 15 kills for Saginaw Valley.
SVSU Volleyball will compete next in the GLIAC Volleyball tournament. The No. 4 seed Cardinals will host GLIAC North Divison foe Michigan Tech in a Quarterfinal matchup on Wednesday (Nov. 16). Tournament action from Hamilton Gynasium will begin at 7 pm. The Cardinals split the season series with the Huskies, winning 3-1 on Nov. 11 while losing in straight sets on Sept. 17 at home.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvball