UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Volleyball team remained at home for the second straight weekend, beginning with a Friday (Sep. 29) evening match against the Northwood University Timberwolves. After taking an early 1-0 lead over the Timberwolves, the Cardinals fell the next three sets, giving NU the 3-1 victory.
The Cardinals claimed the opening set by a score of 25-20, posting a 1-0 lead over the visitors. After the first set was knotted at 6-6 and 13-13, the Cardinals got some separation when they got four straight points when Lindsey Jacobs served, pushing the lead out to 17-13. An Olivia Dean kill had the Cards leading by as many as seven points (21-14) en route to the first set win.
Northwood rebounded to grab the next two frames, registering 26-24 and 25-18 wins to take an overall lead of 2-1 in the match.
The third set saw the Timberwolves take advantage once again, claiming a 25-18 victory to seal the 3-1 GLIAC victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Lexi Laskowski added in seven kills on eleven attemps, hitting the team high of .200, earning Laskowski the "Player of the match."
- Sarah Tabit contributed 17 kills and 24 digs, her and the teams first double-double of the season.
- Hannah Tabit recorded 36 assists and one ace on the night.
- Emily Nieman had 20 digs.
- Lindsey Jacobs added in two aces.
- The Cardinals and the Timberwolves tied in kills, 43-43, and in digs, 74-74.
From head coach Will Stanton
"We passed well and had the oppurtunities with our offense, but we struggled to stop the Northwood middle and that cost us to many points and eventually the match."
The Cardinals host the No. 8 team in the nation in Ferris State University on Saturday (Seb. 30) afternoon. The Bulldogs are coming off a 3-0 victory at Lake Superior State University on Friday. First serve is set for 2:00 p.m. at SVSU's Hamilton Gymnasium.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---