INDIANAPOLIS — The Cardinal Volleyball team concluded action in Indy on Saturday, taking down GMAC team member Walsh University, 3-0. SVSU finishes the crossover weekend with a 1-2 overall record.
SVSU 3 - WU 0
The Cardinals switched gears after going 0-2 on day one of the crossover, taking down Walsh in set one 25-23. SVSU's offense was led by Maria Vukaj, posting six kills in the first set.
In the second set, Saginaw Valley notched a .314 hitting percentage with a huge contribution from freshman right side attacker Kristen Huebner, who hit .375 on the match with her career high of eight kills. Taking this set led the Cardinals to their first 2-0 lead of the weekend.
A total of 13 kills for Saginaw Valley in the final set gave the team the win, but the 10 errors kept Walsh within range. Emily Friesl attacked well out of the middle for the Cardinals, contributing the teams best kill percentage on the day, hitting .412.
SVSU took the final set, 25-22 and the match, 3-0.
Inside the Box Score:
- Huebner earns the player of the match accolades after posting her career high of eight kills and attacked a .375. She added two blocks as well.
- Friesl earned the top slot for attacking percentage, hitting a .412. She recorded 10 kills, five blocks and five digs.
- Vukaj led the defense with 16 digs and added 10 digs.
- Sarah Tabit recorded 10 kills.
- Tamara Heller added nine digs.
The Cardinals will take their annual trip up north this weekened to take on Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech. Live stats and video will be available for the contests.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---