SAULT STE. MARIE -- The SVSU Women's Basketball team traveled to play at Lake Superior State University on Thursday evening in another league tilt. Led by a phenomenal performance from senior forward Abby Duffy, the Cardinals posted their first victory of the year with a 73-67 decision over the Lakers.
Duffy had 41 points in the contest, well surpassing her previous career-high of 25. She added 16 rebounds in the win, tying her career-high she had earlier this season against Ohio Dominican.
The Lakers held a 20-17 lead after the first 10 minutes of action, with Abby Duffy leading the way with
Saginaw Valley trailed at the half by a narrow 42-41 margin, as Duffy put up monster numbers in the opening 20 minutes of action. She quickly surpassed her previous career-high of 25 points with 31 points in the first half. Duffy was 11-13 shooting in the first half with five rebounds.
After three quarters of play, the Cardinals still trailed by a close margin as Lake Superior State held a 54-52 lead.
The final 10 minutes saw SVSU outscore the home squad 21-13, using solid free throw shooting down the stretch from Hannah Settingsgaard to seal the six-point victory, 73-67.
SVSU's Interim Head Coach Ryan Trevithick earned his first career victory at the helm for the Cardinals, his sixth career contest leading the Cardinals.
Inside the Boxscore
- Duffy was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" after her career night. She posted 41 points and matched her previous career-best with 16 rebounds. She finished only a single point shy of the program's single game record of 42 points.
- Settingsgaard was up next in points, totalling 17 points. She added three boards and a team-high two blocks.
- Maddie Maloney recorded three boards and a team-high of four assists.
- Maddie Barrie had six points and two assists.
- The Cardinals shot 53.1% from the field while holding the Lakers to 41.7%.
From Head Coach Ryan Trevithick
Saginaw Valley heads to Ferris State on Saturday (Dec. 8) for its next matchup. Tip-off will be 1:00 p.m. from FSU's Jim Wink Arena in Big Rapids, Michigan.
@SVSUWBB | #svsuwbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---