UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Cardinal Men's Basketball squad hosted the No. 5 team in the country in the Ferris State University Bulldogs on Saturday (Dec. 9) night. The Bulldogs, after trailing at the first media timeout, would come out ahead in the contest by a final score of 81-45.
After falling behind 6-0 to begin the game, the Cardinals rattled-off seven straight and led by a 7-6 count at the first media stoppage. The points came courtesy of layups from Sebastiano Lamonato and Mike Wells Jr., along with a triple from James Toohey.
The visitors got the lead back, however, and built it to double digits at 17-7 with 11:35 to play in the opening half. Ferris continued to hold the lead and carried a 41-19 edge into the half.
The Bulldogs continued the strong play in the second half, outscoring Saginaw Valley by a 40-26 margin to claim the win by the 81-45 final.
Inside the Boxscore
- Lamonato had a team-high 13 points in his 31 minutes of action in the game. He added two rebounds and a trio of assists.
- Jake Daniels had 11 points, four boards, two assists and a steal. He was named the Meijer "Player of the Game."
- Toohey added eight points with five rebounds, two steals and an assist.
- Ferris owned a 50-18 advantage in points in the paint and 43-33 edge on the glass.
- The Bulldogs shot 51.7% (31-60) from the floor while SVSU was just 16-of-57 for a mark of 28.1%.
From Head Coach Randy Baruth
The Cardinals are off until Saturday (Dec. 16) when they travel to play at Northwood University for an 8:00 p.m. matchup. The Timberwolves are coming off a 92-76 home loss to Lake Superior State on Saturday.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---