UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Men's Basketball team defeated the Judson College Eagles on Saturday (Nov. 23) afternoon by a final score of 89-92 at O'Neill Arena. SVSU had a 44-36 halftime edge and overcame a late charge from the Eagles in securing the seven-point win.
SVSU ran out to a 12-0 lead that was capped by a three-pointer from James Toohey with 16:09 showing on the clock and the Cards would hold-off an Eagle charge that saw the visitors get to within two points (38-36). Saginaw Valley pushed the lead back out to eight points with the 44-36 halftime lead.
The Cardinals hit on 16-35 shots in the first 20 minutes for a 45.7% from the floor while Judson shot 43.8% (14-32). Darnell Hoskins Jr., Malik Ellison and Myles Belyeu each posted 11 first half points, with Belyeu adding seven rebounds.
In the second half, An Innocent Nwoko layup with 4:02 to play gave SVSU its largest lead of the afternoon, an 81-61 lead over Judson. The Eagles, however, went on a 19-4 run to trim the deficit to 85-80 with 35 seconds left in the game. The Cardinals held strong from there, sealing the 89-82 non-conference victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Belyeu led the way with 19 points and 11 rebounds, collecting the double-double. He was named the Meijer "Player of the Game."
- Toohey had 17 points, hitting on 5-of-8 shots from three-point range with six assists, two rebounds and two steals.
- Hoskins added 15 points with a pair of boards, assists and steals.
- Ellison had 14 points with four rebounds, three helpers and two steals.
- Fred John Jr. added 10 points with a team-best eight boards.
- Judson's DeMarcus Williams had a game-high 26 points.
Postgame Interview - Randy Baruth
Saginaw Valley remains at home on Tuesday (Nov. 26), as the Cards host Aquinas College. Tip-off will be at 7:00 p.m. at O'Neill Arena.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---