DETROIT -- The Lady Cardinals wrapped-up a four game road trip on Saturday afternoon, taking on the Wayne State University Warriors in Detroit. In what was a close contest throughout, Wayne State came out in the end by a slim 50-48 score at the Matthaei Center.
SVSU had a pair of double digit scorers in the contest and had a chance at the end but it was not enough.
The first quarter saw the Warriors post a 17-10 lead, carrying that edge into the second frame. The teams each went for 12 points in the second quarter, bringing the game to a 29-22 score heading into the halftime break.
The Cardinals had a solid third quarter, scoring 14 points and holding the home squad to just seven in pushing the game to a 36-36 tie heading into the fourth and final frame.
Saginaw Valley erased a four point deficit and trailed by just 49-48 after Hannah Settingsgaard drilled a three-pointer with a minute left to play.
The Warriors made one of two free throws to make the score 50-48 late in the game. The Cardinals had a shot at knotting the game but the shot fell no good and Wayne State secured the two-point victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Maddie Barrie led the way offensively with 13 points and three rebounds. She was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" and had a solid third quarter to aide the effort.
- Maddie Maloney registered 10 points and had three boards and three assists in the contest.
- Aaliah Hill added nine points and grabbed a career-best 13 rebounds in the game. It marks her first double-digit rebound game in a Cardinal uniform.
- Kaitlyn Geers had eight points and eight boards as well for SV. The eight rebounds matches a career-best for her.
- SVSU shot 30.4% from the floor while the Warriors were 27.1%.
- The Warriors had a 46-40 edge on the glass while the Cards had an 18-14 upper-hand in the paint.
- WSU's bench outscored the Cardinals 20-3 in the game.
Saginaw Valley returns home for a Saturday (Jan. 26) matchup versus Northwood University. Tip-off is slated for 1:00 p.m. at SVSU's O'Neill Arena.
@SVSUWBB | #svsuwbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---