PEPPER PIKE, Ohio -- The Saginaw Valley State University women's basketball team took down Ursuline College, 84-75, in a nonconference matchup. With the win the Cardinals improve to 3-1 overall in the 2019 season. The Cardinals opened play against Ursuline, outscoring their opponant, 41-32, at the halftime break. Saginaw Valley continued to outscore the Arrows through the second half of play and would ultimately win, 84-75.
SVSU led through most of the first quarter which ended with a Cardinal one point lead with a score of 19-18. Maddie Barrie led the offensive attack with seven points including a go ahead three-pointer. Barrie and teammate Tori DePerry both tacked-on five points in the second quarter for SV as the Cardinals led, 41-32, at the half. The Cards had their best shooting output in the second quarter, hitting 61.5% while outscoring Ursuline 22-14 in the quarter.
The Cardinals scored the most points in the third quarter, 27-17, over the Arrows and Ashley Buchholz led SVSU in scoring with 10 points.
In the fourth quarter, the Arrows made a big push to comeback as they outscored the Cardinals, 26-16. The Cardinals buckled down at the end of the game and closed the fourth quarter, 84-75.
Inside the Boxscore
- Maddie Barrie had a team-high 19 points and added seven rebounds and three assists.
- Hill was in double-figures in scoring as well, adding 18 points with a team high ten rebounds and an assist.
- Tori DePerry added 15 points and five rebounds from the bench.
- Maloney had eight points and a team high seven boards for the Cardinals.
- SVSU shot 44.8% from the field while Ursuline was 36.5%.
- The Cardinals out-rebounded the Arrows 47-28.
Saginaw Valley hits the road again for a Sunday (Nov. 16) game at the Ursuline College as they face Walsh College. Tip-off will be at 3:00 p.m. You can follow the action live at svsucardinals.com.